Best Suburbs Near Dallas

The Dallas area has a lot of options as far as places to live depending on your preferred lifestyle. Some people prefer to live in the city while others would rather stay in the suburbs. Even among the suburbs, though, some are better than others. Per, here are the best suburbs in DFW.

#5 Southlake

Known for their New England style town square and championship high school football team, Southlake is a suburb of Fort Worth and has a population of about 30k people. 92% of residents own their homes And the median home value of $656k. Because of this, it makes sense that the median household income is $230k. These home values and incomes translate to Southlake having some of the best public schools in Texas.

Unfortunately, if you are looking for diversity, this is not the place for you as Southlake is a pretty homogeneous town with over 80% of the residents being white. However, if diversity is not high on your list, Southlake is a great place to live.

#4 Flower Mound

Located in Denton County, Flower Mound has a population of around 70k people. 86% of people in Flower Mound own their homes and homes have a median home value of $342k. In line with that, the median household income in Flower Mound is $134k.

Flower Mound was named for a 12.5-acre and 50-foot-high hill which attracted the attention of early settlers to the area. It is often simply referred to as “The Mound” and is the namesake for the town.

Be sure to watch your speedometer while driving through Flower Mound, though, it has been named “worst speed trap city” in the past.

#3 Frisco

Frisco is a suburb of Dallas and has a population of about 166k people. This dense suburb has a median home value of $368k and the median household income is $127k.

Frisco was the fastest-growing city in the United States in 2017, and also the fastest-growing city in the nation from 2000 to 2009. Like many of the cities in the northern suburbs of Dallas, Frisco serves as a bedroom community for professionals who work in the DFW area.

In 1978, the first season of Dallas was filmed at Frisco’s Cloyce Box Ranch (now the Brinkmann Ranch), where the house on-site was used as the Ewing family home. This house burned down during renovations in 1987, and the steel skeleton of the house still stands today on what is now the largest family-owned estate in Frisco.

#2 Plano

Plano is a city about 20 miles north of Dallas with a population of about 285k people and a median home value of $291k. 60% of Plano residents own their homes while the remaining 40% rent. The median household income in Plano is $92k.

European settlers came to the area near present-day Plano in the early 1840s. During the 1980s, many large corporations moved their headquarters to the city, including J. C. Penney and Frito-Lay, which encouraged further growth. Today, Plano is home to the headquarters of many other Fortune 1000 companies including: At Home, Cinemark Theaters, FedEx Office, Pizza Hut, and Toyota.

#1 Coppell

Coppell has a population of 41k people and is one of the best places to live in Texas. The median home value here is $389k and the median household income is $124k.

The Coppell area was settled by German and French immigrants in the 1840s. Later, spurred by the opening of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW Airport) in 1974, the city was radically transformed from a tiny farming village to a large, upper-middle-class suburban community. By 2000, almost all of the residentially zoned land in the city had been developed, and the population grew to over 35,000. Due to its close proximity to the airport and easy commute to Dallas, Coppell is a great place to live.

There’s the list of the best suburbs in DFW. Do you live in one of these places? Do you think somewhere else should be on the list? Let me know in the comments below.


Posted in

Valet Maids

If you are looking for the best maid service Dallas has to offer, look no further than Valet Maids. If you need your home, apartment or offices cleaned, give us a call at (214) 438-4804.